Monday, May 11, 2009

Five Questions with Andrew Cole


This week, we're going to profile a few of our graduating seniors with their responses to five questions I asked them last week. First up is Andrew Cole. Andrew is the recent co-recipient of the Carl Chaney Award, given to the outstanding male English major; he also won one of this year's English Writing Awards.

What were the most valuable experiences of your English major (and of course, why)?

The highlight of my time in the English department has been the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with members of the faculty. Because our classes are so small, it's a natural fit that the teachers get to slow down and know each of their students on a personal level. I would consider all of the teachers I have had during my time in the department mentors and great friends.

Have your favorite writers changed since you’ve been here? Who are they now and why?

Most of my favorite authors coming into college (Steinbeck, O'Connor, Conrad, Eliot) have carried through the four years that I have been here, but I have also added to that list Graham Greene and Robert Penn Warren with some of the stuff I have read in my English classes.

What post-graduation plans do you have?

I'll be moving to New York in June to work for a company called Type A Marketing. They provide public relations and marketing services to shows on Broadway and touring across America... I'll be in their touring division. From here to anywhere, right???

True or False:

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.


False... so much depends upon a red wheel barrow glazed with rain water beside the funky chickens.

Any shout outs on your way out?

Ummm... I guess all the awesome English teachers I had... and I suppose also the ones I didn't because there are quite a few professors I'd still love to have... but not enough to postpone graduating!