Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What Drives Authors? You Do!

(submitted by Honors Director Devon Boan): As you've probably noticed, the Southern Festival of Books is just around the corner again and so I'm beginning to organize volunteers again who might be willing to provide rides to and from the airport for authors. This seems like a great opportunity for our English majors who might want to spend 30-45 minutes with an author picking his or her brain about writing and publishing (not to mention the chance to network a little with someone already established).

I had a great time last year talking with Billie Letts about Tracy’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play and the challenges of being a writer from Oklahoma, as well as with David Wroblewski and his interesting story about getting Edgar Sawtelle published, his MFA experience, and the Oprah conversations.

The festival is scheduled this year for the weekend of Oct. 9-11, and authors might start coming in as early as a day or two before that. I imagine they'll be staying at the Sheraton again this year, so it’s quite easy to drop them off or pick them up. If you would be willing to help, email me your available days and times and I'll put you with an author or two for the weekend. If you have any questions, call me at 460-6397 or email me at devon.boan@belmont.edu.